Based on our experience working with numerous people facing Osteoporosis issues, we are pleased to share some information and yoga tools that you might find helpful. Of course, every person is unique, and this is we know very well in yoga therapy, where based on the individual’s needs, energy level, body, breathing pattern, character, lifestyle and beliefs we develop a personalized graded holistic practice.
Osteoporosis is characterized by low bone mass and structural deterioration of the bone tissue, leading to thinner bones and increased susceptibility to fractures, especially in the hip, in the spine and in the wrist, although any bone can be affected.
A leading cause is during menopause, when the body produces little or no oestrogen, which is essential for maintaining bone metabolism using calcium, magnesium, zinc and other bone building materials.
The 3 most effective Recommendations
- Supplements suggested by doctors
- Calcium Intake – 1000mg for men ages 50 – 70, 1200mg for women 51 and older as well as men over 71.
- Vitamin D intake – 1000 – 2000 IU age 50 and over
- Weight bearing exercise and muscle strengthening with a focus on strength, posture and balance.
- Sunlight and smiling
In Yoga Therapy taking into account the personal needs, habits, body, breathing pattern, energy level, character, lifestyle and comorbidities we give a personalized graded practice that:
- Strengthens the muscles, of the legs and mostly of the hips and of the spine.
- Enhances balance by standing postures, balancing practices and standing functional movements, such as walking forwards, sideways, backwards.
- Minimizes kyphosis and opening the chest by strengthening the back muscles.
- Recognizes bad habits such as bending from lower back instead of the hips.
- Focus on spinal extension for making space between vertebrae of the spine.
- At the same time, we avoid forward bends especially by bending from the lower back, as well as twists and intense side bends.
https://yogatherapygreece.com/ for details of IAYT Accredited 800 hours Yoga Therapy Training, personal and group yoga therapy sessions
#yogatherapygreecforosteoporosis #yogatherapyforosteoporosis #yogatherapygreece #iayt #yogaforosteoporosis #yogatherapy #yogatherapistEviDimitriadou